We hear this all the time, “it doesn’t hurt, why do I need a filling, I will just wait till it starts hurting and then I will get the filling.”
I hate to tell you this but pain equals time and money in my business. If it hurts it most likely needs something more extensive than just a simple filling. Which could include root canals, crowns, extractions, implants and/or bridges. All very expensive things when compared to a simple small white tooth colored filling. Here are some points to remember when you are putting off that filling you need.
1. Every day the cavity is growing bigger (making it harder and more expensive to fix)
2. Once the tooth starts hurting the decay is very deep and close to the nerve ( even if it hurts only for a couple of hours and goes away chances are the decay is very deep)
3. Cavities can spread to other teeth ( more fillings, more time, more money)
4. Teeth will start hurting on nights and weekends ( this is not really true but do you want to take that chance)
5. Smaller fillings last longer ( I wish fillings would last forever but they are like cars and need to be replaced every 10-15 years)
6. A root canal and crown is around 10- 15 times more expensive than a simple filling ( it can be worse if you don’t have dental insurance)
To sum things up, if you dentist informs you of decay then act, don’t put it off! Get that filling before it costs you a ton of money, time, and headache.
If you need a dentist in the Raleigh, Cary, or Morrisville area give one of our local Dentists a call. We can find you an appointment in one of our wonderful offices Monday – Friday and some evenings. Just call 919 809-8898 for North Raleigh or 919 651-8024 for our Morrisville location.